Thursday 21 July 2011

The Death of Surprise

So this weekend will see the premiere of Captain America: The First Avenger and it got me to thinking about how much I already know about this movie.  I know pretty much the whole plot.  I've seen quite a few clips online (and I don't just mean the trailers).  I know the entire cast and who has cameo's, and what those cameo's are.  I even know what the scene is going to be after the credits.  I have way too much knowledge about this movie.  Even if I had tried to stay away from it, there's still all kinds of things that would have caught my eye, like headlines of articles or the like.  I think I just miss the suprise and mystique of the way movies used to be.  Remember when all you knew about a movie was from a small trailer and a voiceover from that movie trailer voiceover guy?  Maybe you read a review of the movie the day before it came out and that's about all you know?  It kinda sucks that a movie can't be shrouded in mystery anymore.  Remember the first trailers for Independance Day?  All you saw was the White House blowing up and that was it...you really wanted to know WTF was going on; I know I did.  Can we ever get back to that?  Can a movie remain a secret again?  Can I ever resist the temptation to find out everything about a movie I really want to see before it comes out?  Probably not, but for some movies, I'll sure give it my best.

1 comment:

  1. Similarly, when it comes to live music, it used to be that encores (if any) would be a surprise. These days, musicians predictably include them in their set.

    I've seen lots of live music over the past 15 years, and the only exception to this rule was when I saw Roger Waters of Pink Floyd perform The Wall in Ottawa. As loud as the audience cheered at the end, there was no more music!

    -NF

    ReplyDelete