Friday 22 July 2011

The Interview

I had a job interview today.  It was not my first job interview, and it probably won't be my last.  I nailed the interview.  When I got home, I called my mom (who had left a message for me to call her back) and I told her that I nailed it.  She asked, "How do you know you nailed it?" and I thought about it...how do I know I nailed it.  I answered every question clearly with specific examples.  They seemed engaged.  I asked good questions at the end.  I felt good after the interview, but if one doesn't get the job, you might never know if you did well or not.  I might have done great, but the next guy might have done even better.  They just might not have thought I was pretty enough.  They might be hiring internally and just taking a few outside interviews to say, "See, we interviewed outside people."  Most of these things people don't have much control over and that can be frustrating.  There's nothing worse than the non-specific rejection; things like "We don't think this is a match."...what, am I on the dating game?  It's just a job; I'm not trying to get into your pants.  Either way, there are some Do's and Do Not's that I have found after interviewing and being interviewed dozens of times.
1.  Do dress nicely.  Men, wear a suit.  Ladies, wear something nice.  90% of the time, I rejected people based on how they presented themselves.  You won't believe how many people have showed up in a t-shirt and sweatpants.  If you don't have a suit, wear the best you have.  The effort is noted.
2.  Do Not say that you're going to steal things from them.  Yes it happend.  No, I didn't hire him.
3.  Do Not use racial slurs.  Unless you're interviewing for the KKK.
4.  Do brush your teeth.  Nothing worse than bad breath in an interview.
5.  Do Not fart in the interview.
6.  Do have a firm handshake, but not one that will crush someone.
7.  Do Not curse during the interview.
8.  Do make them laugh.  It shows you have a good attitude and that's 80% what I look for.
9.  Do Not hit on your interviewer.  It may sound fun and complimentary, but in actual fact it's creepy as s#it.
10.  Do thank them for their time at the end.  It shows you're a professional.
11.  Do Not let too much dead air linger.  If there's an awkward silence after you give an answer, they're probably looking for more.
12.  Do ask to clarify any question you don't fully understand.  The interviewer is almost never annoyed by this.
13.  Do not arrive late and/or unprepared.  You should be there 10 min. early with a few copies of your resume and references with you.
14.  Do speak with confidence and admit when you don't know something.

I did all the Do`s and none of the Do Not`s today...I think that deserves a reward.

1 comment:

  1. I think admitting I didn't know something actually helped get me my current job - shows responsible honesty.

    ReplyDelete