Wednesday 27 July 2011

Kids and Warren

In my last post, I talked about my relationship with my dad.  Being a father myself, that relationship has taught me how not to parent my own child to great success.  As of right now, my son is 7 1/2 years old.  Here's some rules I've discovered while raising him.

1.  Never wake a sleeping child.
2.  NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING CHILD.
3.  When your kid is a baby and that baby smashes his head on something (as every baby will do), a little cuddling, gentle rocking, and some baby tylenol go a long way.
4.  When your kid is a baby and that baby is teething, some cuddling, gentle rocking, and some baby tylenol go a long way.
5.  Don't make your kid a drug addict with baby tylenol.
6.  Kids see grandparents as one of 2 things, toy dispenser or candy dispenser.
7.  Parents see those same people as one of 2 things, a sympathetic ear and free babysitting.
8.  The older your child gets, the more you hear your parents words come out of your mouth.  Sometimes it's scary, most times it's funny, but probably only to you.
9.  The longer you're a parent, the more you appreciate what your own parents went through.
10.  Every kid should be taught how to fight and how not to fight.  I know this is a hot button topic.  Ideally there would be no fighting in school, but it doesn't work like that.  The kid that fights the bully is a hero, the kid that tells the teacher is a wuss and a tattletale.  I taught my kid to never ever start a fight...but always end it.  He hasn't started a fight yet.
11.  I give my son freedom to do whatever he wants as long as he says in line...one step out of line and it's punishment time.
12.  Never let your child see you smoke or drink.
13.  If you're separated/divorced, never argue in front of the child and never say bad things about the other parent.
14.  As soon as you can, make your child earn everything.
15.  Every kid says no.  They're testing your boundaries.  Don't give them an inch.  It might seem cold hearted, but in the end is far more beneficial for you and them.
16.  Don't dress your kid funny.  I'm pretty sure my mom did when I was younger, but it was the 80's and everybody was dressed funny.
17.  Don't let your kid cut his own hair.  I did when I was younger and have the school pictures to prove it.
18.  Don't be shy or sparing with affection.
19.  Don't be shy or sparing with praise for good work.
20.  Enforce reading as a daily activity for at least 1/2 hour per day.  It's always the kids who can't read that have a hard time in school.

Alright, I'm gonna stop here.  I could write more, but that would make this post waaaay too long.

On another note, RR wanted me to remind everyone that the video for Warren Dean Flandez's new single, "Vinatge Love" is now on youtube.  Check it out and tell all your friends...TELL THEM NOW!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHFpNGjBANI

No comments:

Post a Comment